Sunday, July 19, 2020

My McGraw Reunion Story by Marla McGraw

MY MCGRAW REUNION STORY

I remember well the first time, my future husband Scott, brought me to visit his family and home in Southern West Virginia.  It was Spring time and the cherry trees were blooming at the West Virginia State Capital. We stopped and walked under the falling cherry blossoms hand in hand. It was pure magic. As we drove further South, we entered the steep green mountains their sides covered in stunning rhododendron blooms with their sweet perfume. Somehow, he must have arranged it all so that I would fall in love with the beautiful place that he came from. I met his family, his parents Mike and Patty, his two brothers Brian and Jeremy, and his aunts and uncles. They were all so warm and welcoming. It was very easy to become a part of their family.  

As the years passed, I came to find that Mike and Patty were never so happy as when their house was full with their 3 sons and their families. Especially when it was the McGraw Reunion Weekend. Patty would be cooking all week to prepare wonderful food for everyone to enjoy. The fridge and stove top so full that you could not possibly fit anything more. She makes the most delicious food! All of the last minute details being hurriedly sorted out: picking up the ice, opening up the college, setting up all of the tables, loading two cars full of food to take over, photo albums, sign in sheets, door prizes and flowers for the entry tables so that they were ready when the family members began to arrive.  

Mike loved the reunion. I think he loved it so much, because his father Jack, loved it so much before him and Mike loved his family more than anything. He loved seeing his kids and their families, the cousins, aunts, uncles, and the family he had never met before. It made him happiest when there were young people at the reunion. He enjoyed everyone reminiscing and catching up with each other. He wanted the McGraw reunion to live forever, for the family to have a place to gather and remember all those that came before them.  

It is hard, but Mike has passed on now. I am so lucky that he was my father in law. He was so generous and kind and never wanted to be in the spotlight or be recognized for all that he gave.  He had a gruff exterior but was really a teddy bear inside.  I miss him a lot, but I think I miss him most at the reunion.  I miss his booming voice getting everyone’s attention for the blessing of the food and as he guided the family through the other activities of the day.  Patty still works tirelessly on the reunion and now my husband, Scott, has taken over the reins and guides us through the activities of the day.  I know Mike would be so proud of Scott and so happy that the reunion still lives on.  Mike loved to hear about all of the family history Scott had been researching and bringing back to life so that the future generations will know about John and Mahala and the lives that they lived.  

Unfortunately, this year we are unable to all gather together, due to the coronavirus pandemic, but we can still set aside time to celebrate the McGraw Reunion and our family. On this McGraw Reunion Day, please take some time with your family and share your memories. Remember the past reunions and all those that came before you.   Pick up the phone and talk to a family member you haven’t seen lately. We need each other to help get through this difficult time. Visit the McGraw Reunion Facebook page and leave memories for other family members to read. Share your history and your lives with each other. It is a very special gift.  Please take time today to count your blessings and recognize what a wonderful family the McGraw family is. I know I am so blessed to be a McGraw, with such a wonderful husband and family.  I hope this post finds you all healthy and well and I look forward to seeing you at the McGraw Reunion next year.

Take care,
Marla McGraw                   
07/12/2020 



1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful, Marla! Love this picture of you all. Whenever I see pictures of recent generations, I see the faces from the past clearly. Those McGraw genes are undeniable. Miss seeing you.

    ReplyDelete